RAHS
Faith in Republic

Area Churches

Baptist, Catholic, Lutheran, Apostolic, and Methodist — the congregations that arrived with Republic's immigrant families and shaped the town's early life.

Elim Swedish Baptist Church and the First Baptist Church of Witch Lake

Elim Swedish Baptist Church and the First Baptist Church of Witch Lake

In 1882 the first Baptists to arrive in Republic were Carl and Louisa Haderman from Sweden. Soon the Swedish immigrants were the majority in Republic, closely followed by English and French peoples. It is no wonder that at one time in the 1880's there were three Swedish churches in town.

The Elim Swedish Baptist Church was located on Republic Avenue and was built around 1900, but discontinued in 1915. Some of the Swedish Baptists moved a little farther south to the Witch Lake area. A Sunday School flourished there by 1929, followed by a mission church in 1948 the Witch Lake Baptist Chapel was built on M-95 and served the worshipers for many years. The formal organization of the church did not take place until 1956. See less

St. Augustine Roman Catholic Church

St. Augustine Roman Catholic Church

In the early 1870's Republic gave indications of prosperity, when immigrants from many countries came to work in the iron mines. The first Roman Catholics were served by visiting priests from Clarksburg. In 1877-78 a church building was built on land obtained from the mining company by Father James Kelly.

After nearly 10 years of use and as the congregation increased, there was a need for a larger church. Construction began in 1887, on a lot east of the old church. After five years of work and sacrifice, it was finished and dedicated in 1992. It was an impressive large building, completely fenced in, with a formal garden on the east side. The building was used for many years until it deteriorated.

In 1905 the first church building was razed and a new Sears Roebuck parsonage building was built from a kit. It is a large, lovely home which is still in use today.

In 1948 a temporary Quonset hut was used for worship for 15 years while the members raised money for a new building. The congregation worked on many projects to provide the money for the new church, such as monthly pasty sales and chicken barbeques. The fine brick church was dedicated on September 15, 1963 and still in use 57 years later: a tribute to their faith and trust in God. See less

Park City Apostolic Lutheran Church

Park City Apostolic Lutheran Church later moved to South Republic

The Apostolic Lutheran congregation was organized on May 1, 1884, in the Republic area known as Park City, aka. Finn Town. Mr Ulrick Ahola was the first president of the 17 family congregation of mostly Finns. Mr. Eino Kangass served as treasurer for forty years until his death in 1924.

The close-knit congregation was served by visiting ordained or lay people during its whole existence. In 1957 the church was moved to a new location in south Republic, due to Park City and other parts of the town being disrupted because of the mine blasting and expansion. In the 1980's, a large Apostolic Federation Convention was held at the church and the school, with many visitors and pastors.

Sadly the congregation shrunk to only four members, so the Apostolic Federation sold the church to Republic Township and the church closed its doors in 2012. See less


Community Church

After closure of Humboldt School No 5 around 1928, it served as a Community center and a place of worship. Sunday school and confirmation for local members of the Bethany Lutheran Church in Republic. In 1937 the building was purchased by the Black River Finnish Independent Apostolic Lutheran Church where it became a primary location for worship, weddings, confirmation and funerals by many of the 22 original Black River families. It continues as a place of worship for the brothers and sisters of faith for the congregation to this day. See less

Zion Swedish Lutheran Church

Zion Swedish Lutheran Church

After the Methodists bought out the Swedish Lutherans, The Swedes decided to build their Lutheran church on the southwest corner of Kloman and Fourth Street. The foundation was started on May 1885 and it was a fine, large church, surrounded by fencing. Many seniors today may remember that building. Eventually it deteriorated, but the back rooms of the building were rented out for some time before the building was torn down in the late 1950's. See

Swedish Methodist Episcopal Society

Swedish Methodist Episcopal Society

This early Swedish church was built, possibly around 1887, though no mention of it is in the Marquette County Directory. It is located just 400 feet or so west of the Swedish Lutheran Church on Kloman Avenue. It was a smaller, frame church, and in 1894 there were services and Sunday School but no pastor listed. Several pastors are listed from 1906 to 1915, then no other church records found. The building was not torn down, but several families have lived there over the years. It is owned now by Rachel Mattila.

Baptist Church
Catholic Church
Apostolic Church
Community Church
Swedish Church
Swedish American Church
Finnish Evangelical Church

Finnish Evangelical Church later renamed Bethany Lutheran Church

Reportedly, the first Finnish people to arrive in Republic were Alex and Anton Larstrom. More Finns began arriving in the 1880's and many made homes in the west section of Park City, a short distance from town. They organized as a Finnish Evangelical congregation in 1866 and built their first house of worship in west Park City in 1887. The Finnish Temperance Society also met there.

As the congregation increased a new church was erected in the town site, south from the Methodist church. The 40 x 80 foot wood frame church was built and dedicated on Easter Sunday, April 19, 1908, a happy day for all. A large parsonage was constructed on the lot next to the church. Over the years it served pastors' families well and was not replaced until 1972, when a new parsonage was bought in south Republic.

Tragedy struck on February 28, 1932, when the church burned to the ground. Church records stored in the parsonage were saved but little else. Pastor K. Mykkanen and the members immediately made plans to erect a new church, even in the depths of the depression. The Methodist Church kindly let the Finns use their church during the rebuilding of a new one. The brick church was financed and built by a herculean effort by everyone concerned, including making and selling pasties. The cornerstone Festival was held on June 24, 1932.

In 1969 an initial proposal was received from Cleveland Cliffs Mining Company to move or build a new church, due to mine damage. After weeks of careful thought and consideration, our members voted to move our building to South Republic and it now stands on a hill, welcoming all to this house of worship.

Republic United Methodist Church

The Republic English Episcopal church officially organized for worship in 1872. Served by Circuit Riding preachers, they met in homes and in the school.

Many English immigrants arrived in Republic (aka Iron City) in the early 1870's to work in the iron mines. Some came from areas of England and others from Canada. By 1880 they and the Swedish Lutherans cooperated and built the first Protestant Church in Republic on the corner of Front Street and Republic Avenue. After a few years, the Methodists bought out the Swedish Lutherans, who then built their own church on Kloman Avenue. After a few years, as the congregation increased, the Methodists purchased a Kloman Avenue building for their parsonage in 1872 and it was used for many years by the pastors.

In 1982 a new parsonage was erected in south Republic. Many activities and programs keep the congregation alive, full of faith and renewed. A variety of improvements were made to the church, but it still has the basic floor plan. Now, in 2020, it is 120 years old! The church bell rings, calling the young and old to worship every Sunday.

The church observed 100 years in 2020

Republic United Methodist Church